If you’ve read my blog for any length of time you know I love love love Mexican style food!
My love for guacamole has blossomed into a relationship that I can only describe as none other than obsessive.
I had to slow my roll with this wonderful item because I discovered it was adding life to my hips that was totally unwanted.
I can’t believe I never knew this before but when I found out how many points I’d eaten with just one avocado, I was sick I tell ya, sick!
It took more guacamole to recover from the shock of leaving it alone.
I recovered nicely and have been on a 12 step program to learn to walk away from the dipping bowl!
That was until someone brought me this HUGE avocado you see there in the background. Oh, but its too pretty to cut up. Actually I’m waiting on it to get just a wee bit more ripe then off with its…. um, skin??
Anyway back to reason you stopped by – The food!
I make these chicken quesadillas all the time and I can’t believe I’m just now posting them but here they go….
You will need:
- 2 – 4oz boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 small green bell pepper – sliced into strips
- 1 small yellow or red pepper – sliced into strips
- 1 small onion – sliced into strips
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- Cumin – to taste
- Oregano – to taste
- Garlic power – to taste
- Salt & pepper – to taste
- 1 cup Mexican cheese blend shredded cheese. (I use Sargentos reduced fat)
- Fat free sour cream
- Guacamole (my homemade recipe or store bought – you choose. Wholy Guacamole is a good store bought choice if you can’t make your own)
- Salsa – optional
- 8 small soft taco size flour tortillas(or whatever type of flour tortillas you choose to use.)
- Half your chicken breasts so they will cook easier and will be easier to handle. Season them with the cumin, oregano, garlic power, salt & pepper to your liking.
- Cook chicken until done and no longer pink in the middle.
- While the chicken is cooking, cut up your peppers and onion.
- Remove the chicken and let it rest for a couple of minutes. Once cool, slice them into strips or chunks, which ever you prefer.
- In the same skillet, add the olive oil and the veggies. Cook for about 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add chicken back to skillet and mix in with peppers and onions, turning the heat to low.
- In a separate skillet warm up the bottom half of your tortilla.
- Add cheese, chicken mixture, salsa, and sour cream. Top with another tortilla and let it melt the cheese for a few minutes.
- Flip the quesadilla over so the top side is now on the bottom and let it get a little crispy or toasty.
- Once it’s done remove and repeat for the remaining quesadillas you need.
- Top them off with guacamole, sour cream, salsa or any toppings that float your boat at the moment.
This recipe serves 4 people.
Serve with chips and salsa or eat it all alone but whatever you do, Enjoy!!!
Happy Friday Folks!